Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Live Concerts

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I was reading an interesting article concerning sound systems posted by B Fish.

    In the seventies I used the following Cross Monitoring System with VOTT speakers for quantities of performers.

    The audience were in ecstasy over the sound quality. Especially German band {beer garden music}and Mariachis Mexican band. They all thank me , and ask me what I used .

    Not much :Ampex Mixers,Dynaco amps. and of course VOTT speakers.

    http://www.geocities.com/rafaleconve...?1137632540620

    ...................................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have used Altec stuff for a few years now for live events all the time. I get MANY compliments over the quality of the sound, much better than what they usually get around here.

    My current setup is active 4way, using cabinets that I built myself based on Altec voice of the theater horns, but adjusted to fit my needs and frequencies. I do have to admit I am using JBL and EV subs...I never found Altecs that kicked hard and low enough for live use, but the midbass, midrange, and Highs are all Altec based cabinets and drivers.

    If anybody is interested in more info, I'll get some photos and details posted sometime, but I am not really good at finding the time to do it, I have a lot of shows booked over the next 3 months, along with my full-time day job!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I recall the Grateful dead, Greg Almond, Neal Diamond and a few others used Altec, loved the sound quality. There was a Mexican band that toured called Los Fredies and they used allot of Altec, although they blew a lot of it up, just like Stan Miller of Stanal Sound did on the Pink Floyd the Wall tour. Altec components were not designed for 1K and 2K amps, once you reached the max debicel output you just didn't shove more watts expecting it to go louder. 20 years ago when the sliced and diced and over processed Apogee and EAW type boxes came out I had a salesman try to sell me one EA5 box for $2000 (no amp or processor or even a speaker cable!) I told him no thanks and the boxes I had cost 1/6 the cost of his over processed box and sounded much better. Well he gave me a dirty look and said his AE5 would blow an A5X out of the water! One day I borrowed a friend's A5X and we set it up next to the AE5 and the base from the 515 and the highs from the 288-G just blew them all away! And now Apogee is long since dead!

    And I worked for the company that Apogee stole the design from, Mccune Sound and the Mccune design sounded better for a processed box

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a Neil Diamong "Jazz Singer" shirt, and right on the shirt it says sponsored by Altec Lansing - Voice of the Theater.

    I recall on ebay a few years ago there were tweeter packs from the neil diamond tour...8 902's on the really small mantaray horns for the HF - in one frame. Looked pretty cool, wish I would have bought it, or at least saved a photo!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    * Should be Diamond...darn board that won't let us edit posts!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a friend who has some of those,
    They were custome made by Altec and Stanal Sound for the Neal Diamond and Pink Floyd tours
    I will try to take a J-peg of them and figure out how to post them here
    I believe he wants to sell them all.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    My turn
    Custom and Neil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.